Mental Health Structural Stigma in Healthcare eLearning Course
This course is offered in partnership with the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC).
This course is available in both English and French. For the French page, please click here.
Those experiencing mental health and substance use (MHSU) concerns face stigma in every aspect of their lives. No matter the context, be it personal or professional, such individuals are treated differently. Unfortunately, they also find this same kind of stigma from the health-care system, which should be a place of care and understanding that helps them access the resources and support they need to maintain good health and manage their desired wellness.
This course is intended for health system leaders and influencers, as well as any healthcare professional, who wants to better understand and identify structural stigma in their organization and how it contributes to inequity and poorer experiences and health outcomes for those experiencing mental health and substance use concerns.
Why Take This Course?
- Become more aware of structural stigma’s manifestations in your own organization and ways you can help dismantle it
- Interactive and engaging – using reality-based scenarios and reflective opportunities throughout
- Learn at your own pace in a fully online and completely asynchronous environment
- Quick to complete – in approximately 1 hour
|MAINTENANCE OF CERTIFICATION
Attendance at this program entitles certified Canadian College of Health Leaders members (CHE / Fellow) to 1 Category II credits towards their maintenance of certification requirement.
- There are no application prerequisites for this course
- Approximately 1-1.5 hours
- Take up to 3 months to complete, at your own pace
This course is offered at no cost.
Production of this material is made possible through a financial contribution from Health Canada.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- identify examples of MHSU-related structural stigma in healthcare
- describe the impacts of MHSU-related structural stigma on clients with MHSU problems or illnesses when seeking healthcare
- recognize opportunities to dismantle MHSU-related structural stigma in healthcare
- Resource Allocation
- Fragmented Care
- Devaluation, Undertreatment, and Diagnostic Overshadowing
- The Culture of Care (Care Delivery, Coercive Policies and Practices, and Erosion of Rights)
- Next Steps: How to Dismantle MHSU-related Structural Stigma in Healthcare
Course Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this course?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
Related Programs and Courses
Suicide: Facing the Difficult Topic Together – Empowering Physicians, Instilling Hope in Patients (available soon)
Suicide: Facing the Difficult Topic Together – Empowering Nurses, Instilling Hope in Patients (available soon)
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.