Health Law, Policies & Standards Course
Providing excellence in healthcare is a complex and challenging process. Healthcare workers practice in a complex environment that is ever changing, with competing demands and uncertainty. There are multiple pieces of legislation, regulations, laws, policies and standards of practice to comply with that add to the overall complexity.
This course will discuss the requirements related to legislation, regulations, policies and standards and examine how they are used to provide clarity of expectations for both management and clinical performance and clear accountabilities for the exercise of that performance. In addition, this course discusses how to apply leadership capabilities where they will be required in situations that may not align with existing norms or where policies do not currently exist.
Why take this Course?
- Built for new and aspiring managers
- Delivered entirely online, register at any time
- Innovatively weaves leadership throughout using the LEADS in a Caring Environment Leadership Framework
- “Keys to Success” videos created specifically for this course by prominent Canadian healthcare leaders
- This course is part of the Management Essentials Program. For more information about the Management Essentials Program click here
- There are no application prerequisites for this program
- There is a required textbook for this program:
The required textbook must be purchased independently by the student, it is not included in the tuition price.
Book title: “Bringing Leadership to Life in Health: LEADS in a Caring Environment” authored by Graham Dickson and Bill Tholl.
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-7026-6
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-4874-6
- Approximately 25 hours
- Complete in up to 4 months, at your own pace
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Interpret the relationship between the law and the Canadian healthcare system;
- Compare the significant differences, key principles and current issues with respect to the law versus standards and policy;
- Describe the contribution that professional standards make to a healthcare organization and patient/client (clinical) care;
- Describe ethical principles, frameworks and decision-making models;
- Determine the expectations of compliance with legislation, regulations and/or pre-determined standards amongst regulating and funding bodies;
- Explain the rationale and benefits of accreditation for healthcare organizations; and
- Identify the legal basis of employment and labour relations and describe measures to promote harmonious and appropriate relations.
Health Law, Policies and Standards Course Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this course?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
- If I choose to take all of the courses or transfer to the full program, will I get credit for taking this course alone?
Yes, taking the individual courses will count towards completion if you choose to transfer to the full program.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.