Introduction to Managing and Leading Course
It is the job of management to design and deliver programs that are efficient and effective; it is the job of leadership to engage people in continuous improvement efforts, so services are constantly evolving to respond to the changing expectations and technological advances of society, while remaining sustainable in terms of taxpayer affordability. Both these functions work in tandem when working in a society in which change—in technology, in social values, and in individual access to information—is almost exponential in rate.
This course will describe management and leadership skills and how good management and leadership can have a positive impact on your program, department, and organization. The skills and processes that you previously used to manage your own work may not translate into successfully managing and leading others. This course will give you an introduction to managing and leading within the context of the health system and help you to prepare for the challenges and rewards of being a manager.
Why take this Course?
- Built for new and aspiring managers
- Delivered entirely online, register at any time
- Innovatively weaves leadership throughout using the LEADS in a Caring Environment Leadership Framework
- “Keys to Success” videos created specifically for this course by prominent Canadian healthcare leaders
- This course is part of the Management Essentials Program. For more information about the Management Essentials Program click here
- There are no application prerequisites for this program
- There is a required textbook for this program:
The required textbook must be purchased independently by the student, it is not included in the tuition price.
Book title: “Bringing Leadership to Life in Health: LEADS in a Caring Environment” authored by Graham Dickson and Bill Tholl.
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-7026-6
ISBN – 13: 978-1-4471-4874-6
- Approximately 25 hours
- Complete in up to 4 months, at your own pace
- $495 for Canadians
- $695 for International students
- 10% bundle discount
- 15% bundle discount
More information about the other courses or full Management Essentials Program
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Differentiate between managing and leading
- Articulate the main functions of good management
- Describe the main theories and models of management that have been influential over the years
- Describe the LEADS in a Caring Environment Capabilities Framework
- Integrate management skills with leadership skills in the context of change
- Distinguish between mechanical and organic systems
- Differentiate between stability versus change
- Explain the internal and external forces that lead to changes in healthcare organizations
- Implement techniques to address common challenges faced when implementing change
Introduction to Managing and Leading Course Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this course?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
- If I choose to take all of the courses or transfer to the full program, will I get credit for taking this course alone?
Yes, taking the individual courses will count towards completion if you choose to transfer to the full program.
Related Programs and Courses
Change Leadership Certificate
LEADS Inspired Leadership
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.