Medical Terminology Course
The Medical Terminology for the Health Sciences course teaches students the foundations of medical terminology including basic word structure, and terminology related to specific body systems and medical interventions.
This course is designed for anyone wishing to gain a comprehensive understanding of the language of medicine, and those wishing to enter fields related to healthcare or health information. This course is eligible for exemption for those accepted to CHA Learning’s Health Information Management (HIM) program.
Why Take This Course?
- Self-directed course delivered entirely online
- Enrol anytime
- Approximately 150 hours of learning, to be completed in up to 12 months
- Course material comes from CHA Learning’s Health Information Management (HIM) program and eligible for an exemption in the full program
- Supported by faculty
The required textbook must be purchased independently by the student, it is not included in the tuition price.
Book title: The Language of Medicine, 12th Edition (2021) authored by Davi-Ellen Chabner
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
- Approximately 150 hours
- Take up to 12 months to complete, at your own pace
|Course Load||Bundle Discount||Fee|
International students, add 15% to the fees
Students must pay a $40 exam fee which covers both the midterm and final exam remote proctoring service.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply biomedical terms encountered in healthcare documentation, including pronunciation and spelling
- Apply medical abbreviations and acronyms found in healthcare documentation
- Understand medical terms and conditions
- Understand structural units of the body including cells, tissues, organs and systems, as they relate to medical terminology
- Examine the anatomical structures, their location and associated physiological functions, for each tissue, organ, and body system
- Demonstrate the course of a pathological condition in terms of etiology, clinical manifestations, changes in structure and function, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions and prognosis
- Identify the normal and abnormal results of the more common diagnostic interventions and relate them to pathological conditions
- Explain the role of risk factors in health and disease
- Identify various types of interventions and relate them to pathological conditions
- Understand medical terms in their proper contexts, such as medical reports and records
The Medical Terminology course is divided into the following 21 units:
- Basic Word Structure
- Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
- Musculoskeletal System
- Nervous System
- Sense Organs: The Eye and The Ear
- Endocrine System
- Blood System
- Cardiovascular System
- Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- Respiratory System
- Digestive System
- Urinary System
- Female Reproductive System
- Male Reproductive System
- Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
Medical Terminology Course Quick FAQ
- I’m interested in the Health Information Management Program. Will I be exempt from this course once I’m in the full program?
Yes, completion of this course means you will not have to take it again in the Health Information Management Program.
- Is this a comprehensive course?
Yes, this course covers medical terminology related to all body systems and disease categories. It is a comprehensive course of study equivalent to a full credit/full year college course.
- Can I use this course for transfer credit to other institutions?
In some cases, yes. We recommend checking with the other institution prior to enrolling in CHA learning’s course to ensure equivalency.
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.