Safety Incident Management
This individual course also forms part of the Canadian Patient Safety Program.
Based on the Canadian Incident Analysis Framework, this course will take participants through an incident case and they will apply learning to the case throughout.
By the end of the course, participants will have the capacity and confidence to recognize and report patient safety incidents, respond appropriately and effectively to mitigate harm, ensure disclosure and work to prevent recurrences.
Why take this course?
- Ideal for those leading patient safety work as well as clinicians, allied health professionals, educators, managers with a focus on patient safety and improvement
- Interactive e-learning format
- Applied activities and reflections throughout
- Enrol anytime, learn at your own pace
- Supported by dedicated and expert faculty coaches from across Canada
- Opportunities to interact online with peers and faculty
Faculty biographies can be found on our registration page.
- There are no prerequisites for this program, but a background in or active role in healthcare is recommended
- Approximately 12 hours
- Take up to 3 months to complete, at your own pace
- $495 CAD
- $695 International
Introduction to Patient Safety Incidents
- Describe the core concepts and principles of patient safety across system levels as applicable to the Canadian health system
- Describe the fundamentals of incident management
- Differentiate between incident types
- Articulate how incidents and harm occur
- Identify relevant regulatory and legislative constraints or requirements in the applicable jurisdictions
Life Cycle of a Patient Safety Incident
- Explain how to anticipate, identify, reduce and mitigate hazardous and routine situations and settings in which safety problems may arise
- Recognize different patient safety incidents and differentiate those requiring analysis
- Explain how to disclose a patient safety incident
- Articulate how to support those involved in patient safety incidents, including patients, families and providers
- Recognize the importance of partnering with patients, families and staff during and beyond the process
- Practice conducting elements of incident analysis
- Determine how to select the right interventions to improve safety
- Explain what we can learn from patient safety incidents
- Recognize the principles of sustainability and spread of a change
- Explain the concept of restorative justice
Safety Incident Management Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this program?
At the end of this program you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning.
- What if I decide later I want to take the whole Canadian Patient Safety Program?
Credit for completion of this course can be transferred towards the program certificate. Please contact us to discuss.
Related Programs and Courses
Canadian Patient Safety Program
Human Factors in Healthcare Safety Course (available soon)
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.