Coding Refresher Program
This program has now been updated v2022 of the ICD-10-CA and CCI Classifications and the Canadian Coding Standards.
The Coding Refresher is intended for certified Health Information Management (HIM) Professionals who do not have recent acute healthcare coding experience and who wish to refresh their knowledge and skills in order to work in an entry-level coding role, or to prepare to take the Coding Specialist Program.
This refresher is a chapter-by-chapter review of the basic application of ICD-10-CA v2022 and CCI v2022 coding rules and conventions and the application of the Canadian Coding Standards for Version 2022 ICD-10-CA and CCI directive statements to clinical documentation.
Suitable for individuals or teams being supported by organizations to upskill for coding positions (group and member discounts available).
Why Take This Program?
- You’re a certified HIM Professional wanting to acquire acute care coding experience to enter a coding role or enhance your knowledge
- You’re a newly certified HIM professional who needs additional coding practice and support for employment
- Online, self-paced, flexible learning
- Supported by expert coding faculty
- Approximately 80 hours of study – complete as quickly as you wish in up to 12 months
- Upgrade your skills in order to take the Coding Specialist Program
- Graduates may claim 30 CHIMA CPE Credits in the Formal HIM-Related Education category
- Click here to compare the Coding Refresher Course and the Coding Specialist Program
- Must be an active certified member of the Canadian Health Information Management Association (proof required)
- Must be a graduate of an accredited Canadian HIM program
- As part of enrolment, you will be asked to submit a current resume
- The ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer Textbook is required
- Access to CIHI’s ICD-10-CA and CCI Folio Views Software is required and available for free to CHIMA members. More information will be provided after enrolment. Encoder software is not allowed in this program.
- Apple users will require additional software that converts the operating system to Windows (e.g.: parallels) in order to use the Folio software
- Approximately 80 hours
- Take up to 12 months to complete, at your own pace
- $749 CAD
- $949 International – please contact us prior to enrolling
- ICD-10-CA/CCI Classification Primer, 9th Edition – eBook ($155) or Paperback ($225)
At the completion of this course, you will be able to comfortably code at an entry level and be able to do the following:
- Review a source document and collect the pertinent facts.
- Enter the correct and complete ICD-10-CA and CCI codes and mandatory data elements into the appropriate abstract for the specific episode of care.
- Apply knowledge of abbreviations, medical terminology and biomedical sciences (e.g., anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology) to the pertinent facts documented in the source document.
- Apply ICD-10-CA and CCI to the pertinent facts documented in the source document.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ICD-10-CA and CCI structure and format.
- Apply the ICD-10-CA and CCI coding rules, conventions and general principles.
- Maneuver through the electronic version (Folio Views®) of the classifications to efficiently and accurately locate ICD-10-CA and CCI codes.
- Apply the direction in the Canadian Coding Standards for ICD-10-CA and CCI.
- Maneuvering through the electronic version of the classifications
- ICD-10-CA coding conventions and rules
- CCI coding conventions and rules
- General coding standards for ICD-10-CA
- General coding standards for CCI
- Eye disorders
- Ear, nose, mouth and throat disorders
- Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic disorders
- Skin, subcutaneous tissue and breast disorders
- Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders
- Multisystemic or unspecified site infections
- HIV infections
- Cardiac disorders
- Vascular disorders
- Blood and hematopoietic disorders
- Respiratory disorders
- Digestive disorders
- Hepatobiliary and pancreatic disorders
- Kidney and urinary tract disorders
- Male reproductive disorders
- Female reproductive disorders
- Nervous system disorders
- Mental and behavioural disorders
- Other reasons for hospital care
- Poisonings, effects and reactions
- Post-intervention conditions
- Pregnancy and childbirth
Coding Refresher Program Quick FAQ
- What will I achieve at the completion of this program?
At the end of this course, you will receive a certificate from CHA Learning. Graduates will also be eligible to take the Coding Specialist Program.
- Do I need to be a certified HIM Program to enrol?
Yes, you must be a certified, active member of CHIMA to enrol.
- Do I have to have recent coding experience to enrol?
No, as long as you are certified and a graduate of a recognized HIM program, you do not need to have recent coding experience to take this course.
- Can I take this course if I live outside of Canada?
In some cases, international applicants are eligible to take this course. Please contact us to discuss your situation.
Related Programs and Courses
Are you an employer looking to train a group?
Partner with us for your team’s professional development.
Why Choose CHA Learning
With over 70 years of history as a healthcare non-profit, online learning is all we do. Tens of thousands of professionals have graduated from our programs and gone on to positively impact the health system. Our healthcare experts and faculty coaches are industry leaders. Our team provides exceptional support and truly cares about your success. Learn more about us.
CHA Learning Info To Go
Need information about our programs you can take anywhere?
Download our brochure.